Reconstructive Hand Surgeon, Plastic Surgeon
As a hand surgeon with training in plastic and reconstructive surgery, the types of conditions Dr. Mull treats and surgeries performed are more varied than the norm. He manages diseases of the hand and wrist that one may commonly think of, such as carpal tunnel syndrome or trigger finger as well as traumatic injuries to the hand, wrist and forearm. As a plastic surgeon, Dr. Mull also treats a wide variety of conditions that affect the entire body including scar revision or complex microsurgery.
With a special interest in reconstructive hand surgery, Dr. Mull has undergone training in both reconstructive plastic surgery and an orthopaedic hand fellowship which has given him a well-rounded understanding of complex problems of the arm, wrist and hand. He treats various ailments from arthritis to peripheral nerve injuries.
His goal as a Board Certified surgeon is to provide complete care to the patient with the goal of maximizing functional outcomes. Every patient, every hand, is unique and requires a different care plan. Patients will leave his office feeling more informed about their conditions and have an understanding about treatment options for their specific issue which oftentimes include both surgical and non-surgical treatment options.
University of Pittsburgh Medical Center
Aug/2017-Aug/2018 – Pittsburgh, PA
Orthopaedic Hand fellowship
Washington University School of Medicine/Barnes-Jewish Hospital
June/2011-July/2017 – Saint Louis, MO
Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery Residency
Indiana University School of Medicine
Aug/2007-May/2011 – Indianapolis, IN
Doctor of Medicine
Aug/2002-May/2006 – Greencastle, IN
Bachelor of Arts: Biology
Bachelor of Arts: Classical Civilization
Washington University School of Medicine
Plastic Surgery Curriculum Committee, Aug/2012-Jan/2014
Washington University School of Medicine Capstone Committee
Developed medical student coursework to help students prepare for residency
Honors and Awards
Resident Education Award – June/2017
Best Resident Paper, “Rectus Abdominis Motor Nerves as Donor Option for Free Functional Muscle Transfer.” American Society of Reconstructive Microsurgery, Nassau, Bahamas, Jan/2015
Alpha Omega Alpha, inducted Aug/2011
- Sharma K, Mull A, Friedman J, Pan D, Poppler L, Fox IK, Levin LS, Moore AM Development and Validation of a Prognostic, Risk-Adjusted Scoring System for Operative Upper-Extremity Infections. Journal of Hand Surgery. Jan.; 45(1):9-19, 2020 PMID: 31901333.
- Mull AB, Sharma K, Yu J, Hsueh K, Moore AM, Fox IK. Surgical Upper Extremity Infections in Immunosuppressed Patients: A Comparative Analysis with Diagnosis and Treatment Recommendations for Hand Surgeons. Hand(NY). July 1, 2018; PMID: 30035635.
- Mull AB, Fowler J. CMC Arthroplasty: Suture-Button Suspensionplasty. Operative Techniques in Orthopaedic Surgery. March; 28(1):40-42, 2018.
- Mull AB, Nicoson MC, Moore AM, Hunter DA, Tung TH. Rectus Abdominis Motor Nerves as Donor Option for Free Functional Muscle Transfer: A Cadaver Study and Case Series. Hand (N.Y.). March; 13(2):150-155, 2018 PMID: 28387164.
- Sharma K, Pan D, Friedman J, Mull AB, Moore A. Quantifying the Effect of Diabetes on Surgical Hand and Forearm Infections. Journal of Hand Surgery. Feb.; 43 (2): 105-114. 2018. PMID: 29241843.
- Odom EB, Qureshi AA, Mull AB, Rao YJ, Min C, Hunter D, Zoberi I, Myckatyn TM. The Impact of Radiation and its Timing on Donor Internal Mammary Vessel Histopathology at the Time of Autologous Microvascular Breast Reconstruction. Journal of Reconstructive Microsurgery. Sep.; 33(7): 509-517 PMID: 28493235.
- Mull AB, Qureshi AA, Zubovic E, Rao YJ, Zoberi I, Sharma K , Myckatyn TM. Impact of Time Interval Between Radiation and Free Autologous Breast Reconstruction. Journal of Reconstructive Microsurgery. 33(2):130-136, 2017. PMID: 27798949.
- Mull AB, Wagner JI, Myckatyn TM, Kells AF. Recurrent Compartment Syndrome Leading to the Diagnosis of McArdle Disease: A Case Report. Journal of Hand Surgery Dec; 40(12):2377-9, 2015. PMID: 26612634.
- Mull A, Marshallek F, Tejada J, Flores RL. A Cautionary Report: Creation of Intraoperative Sparks and Embers from Onyx® Embolic Material During Surgical Resection of Arteriovenous Malformation. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery Feb.; 129(2):401e-402e, 2012. PMID: 22286488.
- Fridell JA, Mangus RS, Mull AB, Sanders C, Slisher R, Powelson JA. Early Re-exploration for Suspected Thrombosis following Pancreas Transplantation. Transplantation April; 91(8):902-907, 2011. PMID: 21301398.
- Mull A. Anterior Interosseous Nerve to Ulnar Nerve Transfer. In: J. Fowler, Cubital Tunnel Syndrome. Springer. 2019.
- Sharma K, Mull A, Moore A. Nerve Transfers for the Forearm: Algorithm and Anatomic Pearls. In: J Issacs & C Dy. ASSH Surgical Anatomy: Nerve Reconstruction. The American Society for Surgery of the Hand, 2017, pp. 88-89.
- Mull AB, Moore, AM. Metacarpal and Phalangeal Fractures. In: A. Woo. Plastic Surgery Case Review. 1st Ed. New York, Thieme Medical Publishers, 2014, pp. 97-198.